Sunday, May 28, 2006

5 Years

When you complete every multiple of 5 years at Sun , you are awarded a plaque thanking you and a gift which you get to select from a catalog. 2 more months more to go before I reach the day Alok picked me up from Bangalore airport 5 years back :-)

No , this post is not about me, but about another collegue of mine.
Rajesh was the architect of the team I joined initially ... and since then has been my unofficial mentor ever since - I owe him a lot , guess much more than he will ever realise :-)
Anyway , last week his "5 years at sun" gift arrived - a really cool astronomical telescope.

The catalogue had other more 'useful' stuff - but Rajesh was adament that he will select only something which was totally useless and something which he will never buy otherwise :-D
Dunno how much he is going to use the telescope - but we took some cool pics with it ... you can hold the main barrel such that it appears as though you are holding a rocket launcher :-))

Here's to wishing many more gifts like this to Rajesh :-)
I wish I can say the same about me !

5 Comments:

Blogger Srini said...

And remember, the telescope that you are going to get FOP ME is MINE! ;)

5/29/2006 09:36:00 AM  
Blogger V said...

Are you going to opt for astronomical telescope as well? That will be k3w1.

5/29/2006 11:57:00 AM  
Blogger cRaY3 said...

i dunno wats wrong with me...i feel a itch to change my job every six months...this itch has been so strong that i have never stayed in a company for more than 9 months...now, its been six months i'm jobless and penniless and i wish to change this state soon.

5/30/2006 11:16:00 AM  
Blogger Kousik said...

Astronomical telescope! That's awesome! Heck that could have been a reason I'd have completed 5 years in my previous job. Because all I could opt for were a jacket or a wristwatch. So I left after 4 yrs 11 months :-)

5/31/2006 03:01:00 AM  
Blogger Mridul said...

@srini
Dream on dude :-)

@V
Yep , I will most probably be getting the telescope ...

@cray3
Well , same company for 5 years , but third team :-D
To be fair , I got kicked out of last team - they shutdown the India operations right when we were having awesome fun at work !
Current team is damn kickass too - and we are working on xmpp , wanna join ? :-)

@kousik
1 month ?!! Hehe , so close eh :-)
From what I remember , we have a choice between telescope, watch , some suitcase sets , etc.
The 'fund' per multiple of 5 years goes up - so the longer you stay , the more kickass your telescope becomes ...
Imagine what I will get after 20 years ;-)
Btw , the one Rajesh got had a moon mode (or something like that) - was reminded of your moon pics :-)

5/31/2006 08:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home