Sunday, May 07, 2006

Things I try to read every year

There are a few things which I regularly make a point of visiting. No , there is not much change in their content.
The idea is to reinterpret their meaning based on what I have learned over the year.
Some/most of them throw some new light , and things I did not understand well suddenly seem very enlightening.
Different and interesting facets are revealed when I look them through each year.

Here is the list of things I am yet to complete or need to re-read again this year :
Tom Van Vleck Software Engineering Stories (Interesting - reading it for first time this year)
The Annotated XML Specification (I have never completed this :-( ... though I attempt each year)
The Eight Fallacies of Distributed Computing (So enlightening !)
Bit Twiddling Hacks (Just to not lose touch of some basics).
Architecture of the World Wide Web, Volume One (The implications are astounding - ex: refer to REST).
HTTP RFC's : old cookie spec , 1945 , 2068 , 2109 , 2616 , 2817 (I 'dislike' this still ) , 2818 , 2965 , ... some of the design choices are irritating and some are beautiful : and I keep changing my opinion of them :-). Yes , I do read the obselete'ed RFC's too - sometimes it is interesting to see what changed , how it was worded before and why that changed !

Things I should be reading and dont ... basic networking RFC's (yes , I am pathetic :-( ) , security RFC's especially authentication , authorization , etc.

When I talk about reading above , I dont mean brush through them sort of thing.
I wont be bothered about the actual details (like the grammer , etc) , but try to understand the principles , design choices and tradeoff's (esp this) involved.
Hence reading for work does not qualify since the primary focus then would be in implementation details ...


Do you have a list ? Would be great to know it !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home