Tuesday, May 01, 2007

"Jade Empire, Special Edition"

I am not too much into RPG's - not because I dont enjoy them, simply because they consume huge amounts of time ... and so have not played any in a long time now.
So, when Vipin suggested this game, I was not sure if I will be able to do justice to it.

First thing that did strike me was ... it has been a bit too long since I played RPGs :-) The gameplay experience has improved significantly (or this game is outstanding).
Let me see ... installed it at around 11:30 am on sunday, and played continuously (with a few 2 min breaks) until 4:30 am - which was when I had my 'dinner'. Played it since 3pm today (mon), and just completed it at 1:30 am (tue) - with about 3 hour break (power cuts thanks to BSEB).
As with any RPG, I spent more time doing side quests than what needed to be done !
By normal RPG standards, the game is short - but I did enjoy it a lot ... more so 'cos of the combat elements woven into the game (I am not a big fan of spell casting though I tend to be a mage when I do play RPG's usually ;-) ) - it is not the stupid slash slash from diablo.
The combat has a lot of elements of Mortal Kombat (which I was used to in a 'past life'), and some of the situations are 'almost a bit too challenging' !

Really good graphics, nice storyline, great gameplay - amazing fun :-)

4 Comments:

Blogger Noufal said...

In todays gaming world with it's lack of choices and imagination, I think RPGs are the best of the worst. Atleast they come up with *something* other than raw graphics and physics. The last one I played was Arcanum.

5/01/2007 10:41:00 AM  
Blogger Moonjungle said...

I think you should get your hands on Bioware's Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (ahem.... not the sequel). I'm sure that its much longer than Jade Empire. Sadly my PC conked out before I reached the interesting bits and thats what the guy who borrowed my CDs said.

Also for a more serious 'real' world fell check out Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

5/01/2007 10:55:00 AM  
Blogger Moonjungle said...

BTW what was the last RPG you played?

5/01/2007 10:57:00 AM  
Blogger Mridul said...

@noufal

arcanum was supposedly a bit too buggy for my taste, so did not give it a shot.
Jade empire is dead or alive meets rpg ... so it is fun :) The fights are proper combat.

@moony
dont remember which was the last one man ... diablo maybe : been quite a long time since i played any

5/01/2007 11:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home