Sunday, June 26, 2005

"Go to Hell"

This is one of the final mission objectives in Doom3 Resurrection of Evil expansion.
I have been there once already in the first version and now I went there again - and kicked Maledict's butt :)
Yep , completed the game finally - as can be expected , the verdict is : Totally Awesome !
They manage to keep the taut feeling throughout the game - sometimes I almost quit it 'cos I could not take it anymore ... naw ;-)
But it is pretty amazing piece of work and considering the legacy it had to live upto - it manages it brilliantly !

Ok , now some nags about the game - which I think are totally justified !

1) Too short - I want more !
It took me just under a week to finish this one - while I also had deliverables at work and other projects I am working on.

2) Bad lighting in level design ?
I know that they use lighting very effectively to in this game ... but in some places I got the feeling that it was plain not done well.

3) Too GPU intensive.
I had to kick out _all_ effects to play it reasonably well ... and mine is a card which is in the supported list !
Ok , ok , it is almost 2 years old - and I will change it soon ... but then it would be cool if they did not mention my card in list of supoprted h/w !

4) Disproportionate difficulties.
I had easier time killing the level bosses than clearing some of the intermediate stages where they totally fill it up with monsters.
Took me under 10 mins to kill most of the level bosses (except Hunter Invul - the son of a bitch : too bloody tough to kill him x-( ) and took me awesome amount of careful planning/artifact use/save-load cycles to clear some of the areas in between !

Whatever be the niggling problems , this is one heck of a software !
Hats off (again) to John Carmack and team - our gods :)

6 Comments:

Blogger Kousik said...

Low light is a cool effect, but scary too. Unless I can't see all the corners, can't be comfortable at all. I'd prefer a stronger monster in broad daylight than a spider jumping on me in a dark room from nowhere ...

6/27/2005 03:59:00 PM  
Blogger Mridul said...

Add to it creepy sounds , eerie shadows and unexpected attacks from the nooks in the past (in the game that is) and you can begin to imagine how it might have been :)
I have not even got into describing those big spiders which come down the walls or crawl from under the boxes and vents , or monsters who (de)materialise all around you ...

In short , a perfect place to go for some relaxation and fun :)

6/28/2005 08:44:00 PM  
Blogger VKM said...

Mridul Man....
Inspite of having all the deliverables, u finished it off and u are not happy because
u finished it off pretty quick AND
u were able to kill em pretty quick..
man...
spend that time on eating some good food...u dont wanna fall down playing games right!! :-)

just kidding man..
howz u? came here via dsine...
In case u are not able to figure who this is (which is highly probable)...hmm...well lets just say..D hostel..opp to noufi's room..

7/04/2005 10:33:00 PM  
Blogger Mridul said...

Hey VKM ... so you are in US now ?
Anoop did not tell me that ... hmm , maybe I never brought it up - just assumed you were here :)
Heard a bit late about your wedding - never got to meet you while I was in blr , a date to meet next time both of us are there ok ?

/me fine ... as you can make out from the entries here , a bit too fine ;)

7/04/2005 11:47:00 PM  
Blogger VKM said...

Yup man..in US right now..returning to good ol' India this month end..
heard from AK about your ratspack mini reunion!! he gave me all the gory details!

7/06/2005 11:27:00 PM  
Blogger Mridul said...

Unfortunately (?!) I did not attend it since I am currently in Bombay ... heard it was nice :)

7/07/2005 05:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home